Thursday, July 16, 2009

Using Google Earth in the Classroom


I don’t know about you, but I’m constantly looking for material that challenges my top math students but aligns with the elementary curriculum.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across a technology blog http://www.ncs-tech.org from one of the people I’m following on twitter. This blog led me to an exciting website called realworldmath.org. The website belongs to Thomas Petra. He uses Google Earth to apply math concepts to real life situations. There are lessons, projects and more.

I found a great project that ties in with the fourth grade earth science curriculum. My students used Google Earth to explore the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. They had to measure distances and calculate the rate the waves traveled.

For our next math unit we will be covering area and perimeter. I plan to use the lesson on complex area and possibly the lesson that involves Sketch Up.

Does anyone else have any good math websites that I can add to my collection?

http://www.realworldmath.org/Real_World_Math/RealWorldMath.org.html

No comments:

Post a Comment